In the event that you forgot your PIN, you can use your 12-word recovery sentence to restore all of your digital assets.
Steps to set a new pin:
- Wipe your KeepKey device - Wiping your KeepKey device returns it to its "out-of-the-box" condition. Your private key will be erased indefinitely.
- Recover your KeepKey device using your 12-word recovery sentence.
Please follow the steps below to wipe your KeepKey device:
Step 1. Open your KeepKey's settings by clicking on the gears.
Step 2. Select "Wipe Device".
Step 3. Confirm this action on your KeepKey device by pressing the button.
Please follow the instructions below to restore your recovery sentence onto your KeepKey device:
1. Connect your wiped device and open the KeepKey app.
2. Select "Recover KeepKey" on the bottom right.
3. Enter a label for your KeepKey device.
4. Create a PIN for your KeepKey device - Your PIN can be up to 9 digits long (6+ digits recommended).
Example: If you'd like to choose the number "6" you would click the top left box.
4. Re-enter your PIN to confirm.
5. Using the cipher on your device, enter the first word of your recovery sentence. The word will auto-complete upon entering the fourth letter of each word.
For example, to enter the letter "b," select the letter that corresponds to "b" on the cipher. Thus, on the cipher below, you would enter "r" as the substitute for b. The cipher will scramble after each letter is entered. This guards your recovery sentence from exposure to the internet. Even if your computer was infected with key-logging software, your recovery sentence would remain safe as the words themselves are not entered. You only input the corresponding letters as they appear on the cipher.
- Click "Space" to move onto the next word.
- Click "Enter" once you have completed all 12 words.