What you will need to get started:
- Your KeepKey device.
- The included USB cable.
- A computer with either a Windows, Mac or Linux Operating System.
- The Latest Version of the Google Chrome Web Browser: Google Chrome Web Browser
- The KeepKey Client App from the Google Chrome app store: KeepKey Client
- Note: You can only access the KeepKey Client app via the Google Chrome app store on the Google Chrome browser.
- Your 12-word recovery sentence card (included).
- A pen to write down your recovery sentence.
Initializing your KeepKey device:
Step 1: Download the KeepKey Client App from the Chrome web store: KeepKey Client.
Step 2: Open the KeepKey Chrome App, and select "Initialize KeepKey".
Step 3: Label your device.
- The label distinguishes your KeepKey from other KeepKeys.
- Note: you can relabel your device after initialization.
Step 4: Select a PIN between 1-9 digits (6+ digits recommended).
- You will see a randomized, scrambled number placement on your device.
- On your device, find the digit you want to select, then click on the square that corresponds with its location.
- Note: Click the corresponding blank box for the number you wish to choose.
- Once you've entered your PIN, select "Choose PIN".
Example: If you'd like to choose the number "6" you would have to click the top left box.
Step 5: Re-enter your PIN and select "Confirm PIN".
- The number placement will be randomized and re-scrambled.
- You can always change your PIN at a later date.
Step 6: Carefully write down your 12-word recovery sentence.
- Write down each word in the order displayed on your device.
- This 12-word recovery sentence is a mnemonic representation of your private keys and serves as the last line of defense if your KeepKey is ever lost or stolen.
- Make sure each word is spelled correctly.
- You are only shown this sentence once, so it is very important that you accurately copy each word in the order presented. Take your time and check your work!
Step 7: Press the button on your device to confirm that you have written your recovery sentence on your recovery card.
You have now completed the initialization process of your KeepKey device!
Remember to store your recovery sentence card in a secure location!
In our constant endeavor to provide our users with secure services, we want to impress upon our customers the importance of using best practices when it comes to security.
- Never divulge your recovery sentence to anyone.
- Store your recovery sentence in a place that is secure from theft.
- Never input your recovery sentence directly into your computer or phone. Do not store your recovery sentence on your computer or phone. Do not email it or private message it to anyone and for any reason.
- Store your recovery sentence in a place that is secure from natural disasters and is in your possession only.
- Use fresh addresses for each transaction. This will provide the highest level of anonymity and security.
- Choose a pin that is unique and that you can remember.
Good security strengthens with layers:
Anybody with access to your recovery sentence can regenerate your private keys, and therefore access your bitcoins. This means you need to protect your recovery sentence and store it in a safe place. KeepKey users should never provide their recovery sentence to anyone. Additionally, KeepKey will never ask for your recovery sentence for any reason. Recovery sentences, word seeds, private keys should always be treated as the most secure type of information, and not be shared under any circumstances.
If you feel that your recovery sentence has been lost or is compromised, immediately move all of your funds out of your KeepKey to another wallet in order to wipe the device and reinitialize with a new wallet and new recovery sentence.
- Create a temporary wallet - users find Exodus to be the most user-friendly!
- Send your funds to this wallet. Use "!" in your KeepKey amount field to ensure you have sent the max amount.
- Verify that the temporary wallet has received your funds and your KeepKey wallet has a 0 balance.
- Wipe your KeepKey device.
- Reinitialize with a new wallet.
- Send your funds from the temporary wallet to the new KeepKey wallet.